Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Secrets revealed!

The 'Ten Secrets' by Heiden and Testa aren't really secrets. They are common sense backed by research data. The first 188 pages address How and Why of better shape, goals, foundation, strength, food & fluids, progress, rest, motion & gear, cross training and motivation. Some chapters are rather vague, others quite specific. The vague components are presented in great detail in the second part of the book, the Program. This provides specifics for cardiovascular fitness, flexibility, muscular strength, balance & coordination, six & twelve week checkups and the art of adjustments. I urge you to read the whole book and follow the recommendations. Don't pick and choose what you like and don't like. If you do that, you're tossing aside the scientific data that supports the effectiveness of the program. Why did you buy the book then? I'm following the cardiovascular fitness program because what I was doing the past 2 years has led to me being slower on my bicycle. But as much as I don't like to deliberately take a day off, or limit the duration or intensity of my workouts, I'm doing it anyway because what I was doing before wasn't working. i'm almost finished with week 3. I'll post progress when test time comes.

No comments: