Thursday, March 11, 2010

Why weight?

It's a curious observation that the people who have the most excess weight are the least likely to think that they overeat. Granted, once the weight is gained it doesn't take much to keep it on, but during the time that the weight is increasing there has to be clear excess of calories (presuming that there is no underlying metabolic disorder). After some consideration it starts to make sense. A person who can't recognize that they are overeating is going to gain the most weight. And if theat person continues in their inability to recognize excess calories, they will persist in their weight gain/retention because they don't think they're overeating. There may be some biochemical or neurologic abnormality that causes a person to not recognize excess food. Research continues but in the meantime people have to grasp the concept that even if they don't think they are overeating, they really are if the weight is increasing.

2 comments:

Jim Huck said...

Does our body really have a "gas gauge" that tells us when we've had enough food? In my experience, If I eat until I'm full, I've probably over-eaten.

I would think that our evolutionary ancestors ate what they could, when they could, which causes a big problem in our day and age with unlimited availability of food.

I could easily eat a whole bag of Doritos. The only reason I don't is that I have made a conscious decision that eating Doritos is unhealthy.

It's an interesting question.

Doctor Dan Caruso said...

I agree. The industrial revolution brought an abundance of excess that is unrivaled in human history. Never before have so many people experienced the opportunity to overeat themselves to death.